Skip to content

Programs : Brochure

This page is the brochure for your selected program. You can view the provided information for this program on this page and click on the available buttons for additional options.
  • Locations: Rottenburg am Neckar, Germany
  • Program Terms: Spring
  • Homepage: Click to visit
  • Restrictions: Valpo applicants only
  • Budget Sheets: Spring
  • This program is currently not accepting applications.
Dates / Deadlines:

There are currently no active application cycles for this program.
Fact Sheet:
Program Type:
Language of Instruction:
Class Status:
3-Junior, 4-Senior
Term of Study:
Housing Options:
Minimum GPA:
Language Courses Offered:
Non-Valpo Students:
Subjects Offered:
Fine or Applied Arts
Internship/Service Learning:
Language Requirement:
4+ Semesters Study Abroad Advisor: Erin Kunert
Program Description:

horizontal curve

Program Description

Study at the Hochschule für Kirchenmusik which is a specialized music school for church musicians, specifically organists and choir conductors, located on the Neckar River. This exchange program is perfect for music majors specializing in organ who are also studying German.Rottenburg am Neckar is a small city of about 50,000 people. It is approximately 10 miles from Tübingen and about 20 miles from Reutlingen. This is a regional center for both Roman Catholic and Protestant church music. The small campus, located within walking distance of the city center, includes studios, a library, and a cafeteria. Students will be housed in a residence hall located on campus with shared kitchen facilities. In nearby Stuttgart, students can attend concerts, opera, theater and ballet.

Students studying at the Hochschule will have access to numerous pianos and organs at the university (as well as historic organs in Rottenburg and the region), attend concerts by well-known organists from around the world and network with German musicians. Hochschule students also perform weekly concerts every Thursday during “Musik zur Marktzeit” in the Martinsdom.
Rottenburg Hochschule


Courses taken at the Hochschule are considered to be Valpo courses and will count toward the music major, general educatiorequirements, or as elective credit. All courses are conducted in German.

Once accepted into the exchange program by Valpo study abroad, students will enroll in a place holder (AAA-932-A) that will retain their student status at Valpo. Students will need to request a transcript from the Hochschule to be sent to Valpo which will then be converted and posted to the Valpo transcript.

For specific information on courses offered at the Hochschule, please view the Vorlesungsverzeichnis. Be sure to view the Sommersemester (equivalent of Valpo’s spring semester). Please note that often the upcoming semester information is likely not yet available – and may not be made available until shortly before the semester begins. It is recommended that students view the previous year’s information and use it as a resource for course planning.


Program dates for the Spring 2017 semester are not yet available. Posted dates are estimated based on the 2016 semester dates. Courses typically begin in early April and end mid-July.

Application Requirements and Deadlines

Applicants must be a music major specializing in organ, and have completed German 204 (fourth-semester German). See other requirements in the Fact Sheet above.

The deadline to apply for the Spring 2017 program will be October 1, 2016. Applications will be reviewed by the German and Music departments alongside the Office of International Programs study abroad staff after the deadline has passed. Once a decision has been made, applicants will be notified via their Valpo e-mail.

Click the “Apply Now” button at the top of this page to begin an application.

Cost Information

Please refer to the Budget Sheet above.

Students pay the same tuition and general fee they would pay at Valpo. All financial aid (except work-study and some ‘on-campus’ aid) applies. Be sure to meet with your Financial Aid Advisor to determine the exact cost.

Your round-trip airfare and room fee is paid by a Giebel scholarship.

Meals are not included. The university has a cafeteria, and students will also have shared kitchen facilities where they can cook meals. Students should also take into account any personal spending. This would include personal items, additional personal travel and any other miscellaneous spending. Estimates in the budget sheet are based on average spending, but are difficult to estimate as they vary from person to person. Students should estimate based on their personal spending habits.

Program Contact Information

Study Abroad Advising:
Erin Kunert - Associate Director of Study Abroad Programs
Office: Gandhi-King Center, Union 2nd floor
Phone: (219) 464-5333
Contact Erin with administrative questions about application, registration, program cost, etc.

Academic Contacts:
Contact the following faculty with questions about academics, courses, etc.
Jennifer Bjornstad - Associate Professor of German
Office: ASB 260
Phone: (219) 464 - 5277

Lorraine Brugh - Associate Professor of Music
Office: Helge Center

Joseph Bognar - Associate Professor of Music
Office: VUCA 2512
Phone: (219) 464-6782

Apply for a Passport

Passports need to be valid for at least six months past the program’s end date. As part of the application, students must upload a copy of a valid passport, or a receipt or similar proof that the student has submitted a passport application. Information on how to apply for a passport can be found here.


This program is currently not accepting applications.